Thursday, 21 January 2021
Thursday, 14 January 2021
More loungewear to sew, easy for beginners
I have shown you how to sew loungewear before but I don't know about you but I need some more.
This is a post for beginners and those not used to sewing stretch fabrics. Use the search tool in the sidebar to find mote posts for "sewing Newbies "
I have a disability as you know, I have Parkinsons, so please never give up on doing what you love, its just a question of finding different ways to do things.
I have been raiding my stash and finding any fabric with stretch, from Ponte Roma to a wool melange knit and this is my result.
Sunday, 3 January 2021
This is a tutorial about working seams,finishing seams, and sewing straight seams
A Jaycotts.co.uk blog post
Recently I have had people tell me that it is years since they last used a sewing machine and could not sew in a straight line.
What is a seam?
- Pin the seam together right sides of the fabric together normally, but there are exceptions which we will come to later
- Pin the seam edges together matching the ends, notches and any other markings
- Hand tack the seam. You can omit this if your fabric is easy to handle and if you are experienced at sewing.
- Stitch the seam with thread which exactly matches your fabric and buy the best quality thread you can afford
- Finish the seam edge appropriately
- Trim loose threads
- Press every seam every time. Pressing gives a crisp edge and makes the thread sink into the fabric making the stitches invisible.