This is a tutorial about working seams and finishing seams.
A Jaycotts.co.uk blog post
LabelsSeam allowance, self bound seam, Flat felled seam, Hemmed seam, Hong Kong Seam, French seam, Overlocked seam, Curved seam, stretch fabrics,
What is a seam?
- Pin the seam together right sides of the fabric together normally, but there are exceptions which we will come to later
- Pin the seam edges together matching the ends, notches and any other markings
- Hand tack the seam. You can omit this if your fabric is easy to handle and if you are experienced at sewing.
- Stitch the seam with thread which exactly matches your fabric and buy the best quality thread you can afford
- Finish the seam edge appropriately
- Trim loose threads
- Press every seam every time. Pressing gives a crisp edge and makes the thread sink into the fabric making the stitches invisible.