Saturday, 6 March 2021
Sunday, 28 February 2021
My Dolls House , The Angelic Mansion
I don't just sew, I have lots of other hobbies,one of them being 1/12 scale dolls houses
It is a lovely hobby but be warned, it can easily become a very expensive one. I also need to mention that these are not for children.
Friday, 19 February 2021
This style of dress, the Buffet Dress was featured in the Great British Sewing Bee episode 1 2021
Tuesday, 9 February 2021
I was gifted this fabric from minerva and I knew instantly what I wanted to make with it.
The Sew Over It Zoe dress and Ultimate Trouser
The fabric is beautiful, It is a Blue and Gold woven jacquard and the best thing is that it is reversible Stretch Woven Jacquard
It is not heavy, more a medium weight and it has a very good drape
Thursday, 21 January 2021
In The Hoop Embroidery
Wednesday, 6 January 2021
How to sew Jeans.
Recently I have been creating this years summer wardrobe. Starting with pants and jeans.
The first thing you need to do therefore is to figure out which style you prefer. You may already own a pair which you love and which fit you well. This is good news because you can use them to refer to when making your own. If not then go along to a clothes store and try on as many pairs as you can and take selfies of those you like. Make a note of the style and if you dare, measure at least the hips and waist.
The first part of the pattern to look at - and you can do this on Jaycotts web site before you order - is the size chart.
Ignore your shop bought size and go by your actual measurements, the sizing is very different in each.
We are going to be sewing with a stretch denim which has " negative ease" ( more about that later ) so if you are between sizes it is likely you will require the smaller size.
Another choice would be this pattern, which again is easy and has alternative style choices .M7547 Jeans and overalls
Sunday, 3 January 2021
This is a tutorial about working seams,finishing seams, and sewing straight seams
A Jaycotts.co.uk blog post
Recently I have had people tell me that it is years since they last used a sewing machine and could not sew in a straight line.
What is a seam?
- Pin the seam together right sides of the fabric together normally, but there are exceptions which we will come to later
- Pin the seam edges together matching the ends, notches and any other markings
- Hand tack the seam. You can omit this if your fabric is easy to handle and if you are experienced at sewing.
- Stitch the seam with thread which exactly matches your fabric and buy the best quality thread you can afford
- Finish the seam edge appropriately
- Trim loose threads
- Press every seam every time. Pressing gives a crisp edge and makes the thread sink into the fabric making the stitches invisible.